When you need a vacation, reach for this tropical libation. This adult beverage will transport you to an island resort faster than any airplane ever could.
You know that feeling when you’ve had a long week and you just need a drink? Or, you know that feeling when your brain just tells you, Girl, you need a vacation! but that’s just really not in the cards right then?
I stumbled upon this beverage recipe because Williams Sonoma is apparently all up in my shit on Facebook and I get a bunch of ads from them. I saw a sponsored post from them one day and then I kept seeing it. And after a particularly warm day, I finally told myself: Self, make this drink. So, you win, technology and whatever artificial intelligence algorithms exist to predict and influence my behavior. (Also, that’s very terrifying to think about… and likely the reason our president is our president, but I’ll leave that discussion for another day and probably another platform. 💁🏻♀️🙀)
So that day, I strapped the baby in his stroller, grabbed my wallet, filled my water cup up, stuck my airpods in and settled into the latest murder podcast I was listening to. I braved the 1.26-mile trek up to my local Family Fare grocery store to purchase the necessary accoutrements for this libation experiment. I’m sure there wasn’t any judgment from any fellow shoppers when I placed a fifth of tequila into the bottom basket of the stroller along with some limes, coconut cream and triple sec.
When I tell you that I had flashbacks of my honeymoon at the first sip, I am not kidding. You know that part in Old School when Will Ferrell’s character says “once it hit’s your lips, it’s so good” when he’s drinking at the party? I literally said that out loud while Jeff looked at me, eyes wide, and said, more loudly than I liked due to our sleeping baby, THIS TASTES LIKE ST. LUCIA.
The sweetness of the coconut cream gives it a taste and mouthfeel reminiscent of a Pina Colada but the lime cuts it nicely to give it more of citrusy burst. I promise you that if and when you make these, if you do not already have a pool in your backyard, you will immediately start wish-listing one, or a tropical vacation, just like I did because now I feel like this is the ultimate summer drink and that I need a swim-up bar in my life at all times. And who doesn’t feel fancy using a cocktail shaker?
Make these. And if you do, invite me over. Extra gold stars for anyone making tacos with these. Drunk!Katie is the friendliest and most fun!
Coconut Lime Margaritas
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar (plus extra for rimming glasses)
- kosher salt & lime zest (for rimming glasses)
- 3 lime wedges
- 4 oz coconut cream or cream of coconut
- 3 oz blanco tequila
- 2 oz fresh lime juice
- 1 oz Cointreau (I used triple sec)
- 1/2 oz simple syrup (see below)
- The very last ingredient listed is simple syrup, so if you don't have that on hand, it's easy enough to make. Begin by bringing 1 cup of water to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the sugar and stir until sugar is completely dissolved. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside to cool to room temperature. Pour into a container and keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- On a small plate, combine equal parts kosher salt, sugar and lime zest and spread into an even layer. Use one of your lime wedges to gently rub against the rim of your glass (this is going to be what gets your sugar/salt/lime zest to stick to the cup). Gripping your glass at the base, dip the rim of your glass into the salt mixture.
- Fill your glass with ice just before you're ready to serve. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and then combine the coconut cream, tequila, lime juice, triple sec, and simple syrup. Cover your shaker, shake vigorously and the strain into the ice filled, rimmed glasses. Garnish with remaining lime wedges.